Dear graduate students,
This March 6th to 8th, you will have the chance to vote to provide further funding to several organizations on campus. We hope you’ll take this opportunity to vote to support the Anti-Violence Project (AVP), your on-campus sexual assault support and resource centre. In 2017-2018 we saw 105 people for support and facilitated 30+ workshops for students, staff and community members! And we’re just getting started. With your help, we can increase our services for grad students and continue our work to end gender-based violence at UVic.
Haven’t heard of us before?
AVP has been serving the campus community for over 20 years! We’re located in the basement of the Student Union Building, room B027, with our comfy support room and resource library just across the hall. The work we do includes running our peer based support services, facilitating regular workshops on consent and supporting survivors, organizing events, and much more! Please stop by any time, we’re always happy to meet new people.
If you think you might have experienced sexualized violence, are supporting a friend or if you think you might have caused harm or participated in violence, you are always welcome to speak to one of our team. Our staff and volunteers are trained to provide non-judgemental, sex-positive, gender inclusive support, provide you with referrals, or just listen.
One of our graduate student volunteers, Anabelle, has written a letter in support to encourage other grad students to vote for AVP.
With your support, we will be able to:
- Conduct paid consultation and focus groups with grad students about violence on campus to learn how we can best support you
- Design resources that speak to the specific forms of violence faced by grad students, including abusive academic relationships and toxic work environments
- Support grad student groups to continue to work against gender-based violence through funding and consultation
- Provide free pre-made packs of safer sex supplies and resources to students
- Spread further awareness of our peer support hours among the graduate student community
This March 6th to 8th, please VOTE AVP at webvote.uvic.ca and help us continue to support and advocate for survivors at UVic.
If you have any questions, please let us know by emailing , calling our office line at 250-721-8080, or dropping by our office, room B027 in the basement of the Student Union Building.
Interested to learn more about our financial situation? Check out our Finances page that lists our expenses and funds for the 2017-2018 fiscal year.