If you have experienced sexualized violence, please remember that what you do next is up to you. You get to decide when or if you seek support or choose to report. Only you know what the right decisions are for you.

If you are thinking of reporting a sexual assault, there are several options available to you, below we’ve outlined some of these options. Reporting can be a challenging experience, so it can be helpful to have the support of family, friends, and/or a counsellor to help you through the process. 

You can always access our peer-based support services at the Anti-Violence Project, whether you intend to report an assault or not. We are here to confidentially support, listen without judgment and provide referrals for ongoing support and reporting options while checking-in that you are doing alright on your path of healing. Our services are free and available to students, staff, faculty and all other community members. You can also call our office to make an appointment 250-721-8080 or have a support session over the phone by calling the support room at 250-472-4388 or email .

Reporting to Police

While going to the police may be a good option for some, there are also many valid reasons that people choose not to report to the police (e.g. past violence, fear of criminalization due to job). Reporting should always be a survivor’s decision (***however is it important to note that there are legal obligations to report in some cases including child protection issues or public safety concerns). It is important to know that there is no Statute of Limitations when reporting sexualized violence to the police, this means you can report your experience at any time regardless of when it occurred. 

You can call 911 in an emergency or your local police non-emergency number to speak with a constable. If you want to learn more about reporting to police and the criminal justice system, check out these resources that the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre (VSAC) has created. The Victoria Sexual Assault Centre has a Victim Services team that is available to help survivors seeking information, support and accompaniment when dealing with police and the court system. To connect with Victim Services, please call the VSAC Access Line (250-383-3232) Monday to Friday between 9:30 am – 4:45 pm.

If you have recently experienced violence, VSAC has created a webpage with clear information about some of your options for support and reporting. This includes information about the VSAC Sexual Assault Response Team (SART). The SART team is available 24/7 to support anyone (all genders) over 13 years old who has experienced an assault in the past 7 days. They can provide a survivor with information, support, medical care and referrals. The SART team can be accessed through the Vancouver Island Crisis Line (1-888-494-3888) or by going to the Victoria General Hospital emergency room or a police station in the Greater Victoria area. 

Third party reporting is an option available to folks 19 years old and over to report a sexual assault to the police anonymously. Making a third party report involves using a third party such as a community-based victim service program to pass along the details of the assault to police. This form of report does not prompt an investigation but does provide the police with information and details that may be relevant to another investigation. The Victoria Sexual Assault Centre has Victim Service Program that can assist survivors in making third party reports, to connect with Victim Services, please call the VSAC Access Line (250-383-3232) Monday to Friday between 9:30 am – 4:45 pm.

Reporting to UVic Equity and Human Rights Office

If you are a student, staff, faculty member, or are otherwise part of the campus community at the University of Victoria, you also have the option to report your experience of sexualized violence to the Sexualized Violence Resource Office in the Equity and Human Rights. They provide information, advice and support to people who experienced sexualized violence on or off campus.

UVic Sexualized Violence Resource Office services: 

  • Provides information about and direct referrals to support services on or off campus
  • Helps survivors coordinate supports across different people or offices on or off campus  
  • Provides information about the options available under the UVic Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Policy

The reporting process can begin by contacting the Equity and Human Rights Office or Campus Security, either in person, by phone, email, or letter. Forms are available through the Equity and Human Rights office for those wishing to submit a formal report.

UVic asks that the name and contact information of the person making the report be included unless it is an anonymous report. The university further asks for as much information as can be provided also be included such as:

  • a description of what happened;
  • information about the complainant and respondent;
  • the time(s), date(s), and location(s) of the incident(s); and
  • potential witnesses.

However, remembering the details of an incident of sexualized violence can be very challenging so if a survivor or third party does not have all of this information, a report can still be made. Anyone making a report can also have a support person with them at the time of reporting. 

UVic also has the option for reports to be made through a third party, or anonymously. Third party statements are made by someone other than a survivor or someone impacted by sexualized violence. A third party could be a witness, a friend, co-worker, someone who received a disclosure or any other person. In order to move forward with a third party statement, you must have the consent of the survivor or person impacted by sexualized violence to proceed.

Third party statements and anonymous reports do not need to have any identifying information, but the university does encourage third parties to include their own contact information so that the university can follow-up. The university may be limited in what actions they can take or if an investigation can take place based on the information available. This being said, third party and anonymous reports will be used to (1) determine if there is a safety concern for the campus community; (2) identify whether an investigation can be launched, and; (3) compile statistics wherever possible. 

For more about the UVic Sexualized Violence Resource Office and the policy check out their website or contact Leah Shumka, the Sexualized Violence Prevention and Education Coordinator. You can reach her at 250-721-8218 or email her at

UVic Campus Security

If you are sexually assaulted on campus at the University of Victoria, you also have the option to contact Campus Security. Campus Security officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and are available to respond to health and safety concerns in relation to sexualized violence. Please note: Campus Security does directly process reports, but if a report is made to Campus Security the following procedures are in place: 

  • Campus security will take the immediate actions necessary to protect the safety of any person 
  • They may apply interim measures as necessary
  • Once any emergencies have been resolved, they may coordinate with other University departments as needed
  • They will refer the report to the Equity and Human Rights office for further action 

Campus security can connect survivors and those impacted by sexualized violence to resources on and/off-campus, and can help with personal safety plans, including: 

  • The SafeWalk program is available to members of the University Community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The escort service is provided from building to building, building to vehicle, and vice versa within the boundaries of the campus, including the Ian Stewart Complex. If you want to access SafeWalk, call 250-721-7599
  • The Campus Alone program is a UVic program initiated and provided by Campus Security Services and is available to all members of the campus community who work or study on campus during the quiet hours of evenings, weekends, holidays, etc. Individuals concerned for their personal safety while working/studying alone at night may telephone Campus Security Services at 250-721-6683

UVic Campus Security can be contacted by phone at 250-721-7599 or by  emailing the Personal Safety Coordinators at