With our offices in the SUB closed and physical distancing policies in place, we have moved our work online. Updates about the AVP response to COVID, including our current support hours, are available here. If you’re interested in getting involved with us, such as by writing a blog post, making a zine, or supporting our work in other ways, please get in touch at . We look forward to hearing from you! (Updated April 21, 2020)
At AVP, there are lots of different ways that folks can get involved in our work in addressing and ending violence. Here are some ideas:
- We run free workshops on campus in the Student Union Building that are open to all students, faculty, staff and community members. The workshops we are currently offering are Understanding Consent Culture Workshop and Supporting a Survivor Workshop. Come learn about these topics and join the discussion!
- Interested in being an AVP Volunteer? We run a comprehensive 35 hour volunteer training every year, which is open to people of all genders and does not require that someone be a UVic student.
- Once training is completed, AVP volunteers take on a variety of tasks including but not limited to: facilitating workshops, running peer-based support hours, tabling outreach, volunteering at events and much more!
At the Office:
- Contact us for support services or come by the office during office hours. We run free, confidential, peer-based support sessions weekly.
- Check out our lending library: We have a selection of books, zines, DVDs, and other materials available in the support room at the Anti-Violence Project. Anyone who would like to borrow materials can; you don’t have to be a UVic student and you don’t need to show ID.
- Come by our office in the basement of the SUB for safe sex supplies such as condoms, lube and gloves. Stocks are kept outside the office, so you can come by whenever and take what you need anonymously.
- Attend a UVic Men’s Circle meeting. This is a space where men and masculine-identified folks, including (but not limited to!) transmasculine, genderqueer, and non-binary folks, can meet to participate in unlearning and challenging patriarchy and other various interlocking forms of oppression, in our minds and in our communities.
- Browse our information and resources on our website. We have all kinds of resources, from a glossary for terms you’ve come across and are looking to better understand, to a breakdown of AVP’s model for consent, to tips for bystander intervention.
- Click on our prevention links to learn more about preventing gender-based violence
- Check us out and follow us on social media!
- Learn more about navigating the media, check out some of the inspiring links in our media faves section, or look at our very own AVP-made media. You can also make your own media!
- Tell us about a project you are working on that you’d like us to support.
- We seek to support events that address violence in multiple forms, that take into account the intersectional nature of gender-based violence, that acknowledge and confront ongoing colonialism, and that promote sex-positivity and celebrate resistance.
- We can provide financial support, promotional support, volunteer support and/or support in other forms, as needed.
- Come by our office during office hours or reach out by email! All our contact information is available here. We are always excited to meet folks interested in our work or wanting to learn more!
- If you have any questions about accessibility needs, or ways that we can help to ensure that getting involved can work for you, please contact us!
- The office is located in the basement of the UVSS Student Union Building, with elevator access available on the first floor. We offer a scent free space.
We are always open to other ways for folks to be involved with the Anti Violence Project. If you have some ideas on how to get involved, please send us your feedback!
Consent & support workshops
The AVP consent workshop is intended to provide folks with the education, skills, and opportunity to understand and practice consent in a supportive and sex positive space…
UVic men’s circle
The men’s circle at UVic aims at challenging gender-based violence and dominant constructions of masculinity by creating a weekly space for men to connect with other men…
Undoing white supremacy discussion group
Join our facilitated group that will discuss and investigate the aspects and dimensions of white supremacy in our lives.
Sexualized Violence Awareness Week
In September as students return, get involved in events surrounding Sexualized Violence Awareness Week.
Volunteer with us
Also, please feel welcome to find out more about how to volunteer.