Public Relations (Outreach) Coordinator Job Posting
Please share widely!
Resumes MUST be submitted to – please DO NOT submit resumes directly to AVP. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA STUDENTS’ SOCIETY
1. Public Relations Coordinator for the Anti.Violence.Project (AVP): Ending Gender Based Violence — Prevention.Support.Action
1. Reports to the AVP Advisory Board and the University of Victoria Students’ Society through the General Manager.
1. Founded in 1964, the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) is an
incorporated membership based non-profit that is autonomous from the University and provides advocacy, services and events to all undergraduate students at UVic.
1. In a joint effort with the AVP Advisory Board and the AVP Coordinator, supervises the Work Study and/or project staff.
2. As required, provide support, information and referrals to individuals affected with gender based violence.
3. Participate in volunteer recruitment and training as needed.
4. Publicize AVP programs, services and events on campus.
5. Organize and Supervise PR volunteer committee.
6. Prepare responses to media coverage of issues surrounding gender-based violence.
7. Participate in volunteer recruitment and training as needed.
8. Attend staff, volunteer, committee meetings, and other meetings as required.
9. Ensure all activities and work performed are carried out in a manner consistent with the values of AVP.
10. Issue press releases to the media regarding AVP programming.
11. With coordinator, determine budgetary requirements for all new and existing AVP programs.
12. Maintain budget records, prepare annual budget for presentation to AVP Advisory Board.
13. Pursue new opportunities for sponsorship and donations, and build ongoing relationships with donors.
14. Perform other related duties as required.
15. Initiating and completing projects around long-term capacity building /community development.
16. Provide coverage and support for the AVP Coordinator.
1. Strong anti-oppressive feminist analysis of issues related to gender-based violence and abuse.
2. Experience working with/in social justice organization/s and/or sexual assault centres, minimum two years experience preferred.
3. Experience in preparing budgets and financial reports.
4. Experience preparing grant and project proposals.
5. Demonstrated experience in public/media relations.
6. Experience in the training, coordination and supervision of volunteer and paid staff, minimum two years experience preferred.
7. Experience in crisis-intervention and support work, knowledge of community resources available to survivors of violence at UVIC and in the community.
8. Experience working with people who have caused harm; to unlearn gender based violence.
9. Able to work independently and as part of a team of paid and volunteer staff.
10. Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete tasks involving long term capacity building / community development.
11. Experience in organizational decision making, visioning (big-picture) and strategic planning.
12. Demonstrated leadership in a previous outreach environment, minimum two years experience preferred.
This is a temporary job (1 year contract) filled by a term employee, and is a unionized position with the United Steelworkers. The University of Victoria Students’ Society is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is restricted to self-identified women, gender-non conforming, and non-binary applicants only. In support of employment equity and in order to increase our relevancy and diversity of skills, knowledge and experience, AVP strongly encourages self-identified people of colour, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer, and transgender people to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-identify as being from marginalized communities and groups who face systemic barriers to employment. Applicants who wish to do so may self-identify in their cover letter.