CLOSED – We’re hiring an Education Coordinator
AVP Education Coordinator – Amended 2016-01-29 (1)
** All applications must be submitted to or dropped off at the General Office at the Student Union Bldg UVic. Applications sent directly to AVP will not be accepted**
Posting closes Weds March 8, 4 pm
20-25 hours/week, 1 year contract, $23.79/hr
JOB DESCRIPTION EDUCATION COORDINATOR – ANTI- VIOLENCE PROJECT UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA STUDENTS’ SOCIETY FUNCTION:
1. Education Coordinator for the Anti.Violence.Project (AVP): Ending Gender Based Violence – Prevention. Support. Action
1. Reports to the AVP Advisory Board and the University of Victoria Students’ Society through the Executive Director.
1. Founded in 1964, the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) is an incorporated membership based non-profit that is autonomous from the University and provides advocacy services and events to all undergraduate students at UVic.
2. The Anti-Violence Project (AVP) is an affiliated group of the University of Victoria Students’ Society. Founded in 1993, AVP provides support, education, information and advocacy services to survivors and perpetrators of all forms of violence.
1. Develop content and deliver AVP workshops to campus community, the Greater Victoria Region and other communities.
2. Recruit, coordinate, supervise, and train volunteers & volunteer facilitators.
3. Supervise the UVic work study and/or AVP Outreach Officers, in collaboration with the AVP Coordinator and Outreach Coordinator
4. Provide support, information and referrals to individuals and organizations affected by gender-based violence.
5. Prepare responses to media coverage of issues surrounding gender based and sexualized violence.
6. Attend staff, volunteer, committee and other meetings as required.
7. Ensure all activities and work performed are carried out in a manner consistent with the values of AVP.
8. Determine budgetary requirements for all new and existing AVP programs, in collaboration with the AVP Coordinator and Outreach Coordinator.
9. Provide coverage and support for the AVP Coordinator as required.
10. Ensure AVP continues to work on accessibility to all community members.
11. Perform other related duties as required.
1. Demonstrated experience in curriculum and/or program development.
2. Strong anti-oppressive feminist analysis of issues related to gender based violence.
3. Demonstrated experience working with/in social justice organization(s) and/or sexual assault centres is required. A minimum of two years is preferred.
4. Demonstrated experience in public speaking.
5. Demonstrated experience in the training, coordination, and supervision of volunteer and/or paid staff. A minimum of 2 years experience is preferred.
6. Demonstrated experience in support work.
7. Must be willing to work with people who have caused harm to unlearn gender-based violence.
8. Able to work independently and as part of a team of paid and volunteer staff.
9. Demonstrated ability in relationship building with community.
10. Demonstrated experience in collaborative decision-making and strategic planning.
11. Knowledge of community resources available to survivors of violence at UVic and in the community is preferred.
This is a temporary job filled by a term employee and is a unionized position with the United Steelworkers. The University of Victoria Students’ Society is an equal opportunity employer. This position is restricted to self-identified women, gender non-conforming and non-binary applicants only. In support of employment equity and in order to increase our relevancy and diversity of skills, knowledge and experience, AVP strongly encourages self-identified people of colour, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer, and transgender people to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who face systemic barriers to employment. Applicants who wish to self-identify may do so in their cover letter.