Interested in volunteering with AVP? Here is your chance! We have an amazing volunteer training lined up for 2017 that will cover topics such as consent, colonization, systemic violence, sex positivity, harm reduction, bystander intervention, creative resistance, and so much more. The training will provide volunteers with the information and skills needed to support survivors of gender-based and sexualized violence, and the skills to engage individuals and groups in education and prevention initiatives, based on their interest in support, outreach, and facilitation. So many great opportunities!
The 2017 Volunteer Training will be held on Tues & Thurs eves and some Saturdays starting Sept 28th until Nov 4th.
This year’s dates
Every Tuesday eve from 5:30 – 8:30 pm (Oct 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st)
Every Thursday eve from 5:30 – 8:30 pm (Sept 28th, Oct 5th, Oct 19th, Oct 26th, Nov 2nd)
Three Saturdays from 10:30 am – 3:30 pm (Sept 30th, Oct 28th, Nov 4th)
Our training sessions will be held in the Student Union Building at the University of Victoria. We have bus tickets if needed and there will be food and tea at all sessions. The deadline to apply is Monday September 18th and applications can be submitted online or in person at our office. Our training is open to faculty, students, staff and community members of all genders and abilities.
- Applications can be submitted online or in person
- Coloring, fidgeting, knitting, etc during workshop times encouraged if it’s helpful for you
- Self-care encouraged
- Childcare upon request
- Transcription services upon request
- Gender-inclusive washrooms
- Volunteer training will be taking place in 2 different locations – the Upper Lounge and Vertigo both located on the main floor of the Student Union Building
- Training rooms are large in size and are mostly quiet but can be echoey and have lower levels of background noise including a fan
- There will be chairs without arms available in each of the rooms
- Wheelchair accessible training spaces and washrooms – please contact us for more specific information such as door widths
- The Student Union Building is a designated scent-free space, however we are using shared spaces for training and cannot guarantee no residual scents will be present
- We strive to only use video with captioning
- Food will be provided via potluck style with contributions from participants and AVP – there is no requirement to bring food
- AVP has volunteer tasks that can be done from home but we currently have no way to make training available online. If you have ideas on how this might work pls do contact us. We’re excited to push our learning.
- Many buses are close by and bus tickets available at each session and can be mailed prior to first session
For more information and the application form check out our Volunteer Training page.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!