** All applications must be submitted to email@example.com or dropped off at the General Office at the Student Union Bldg UVic. Applications sent directly to AVP will not be accepted**
Posting closes Monday November 6, 4 pm
21-25 hours/week, term position, $24.09/hr + vacation pay
JOB DESCRIPTION AVP PUBLIC RELATIONS (OUTREACH) COORDINATOR
– ANTI-VIOLENCE PROJECT UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA STUDENTS’ SOCIETY
1. Public Relations Coordinator for the Anti.Violence.Project (AVP): Ending
Gender Based Violence – Prevention.Support.Action
1. Reports to the AVP Advisory Board and the University of Victoria Students’
Society through the General Manager.
1. Founded in 1964, the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) is an
incorporated membership based non-profit that is autonomous from the
University and provides advocacy, services and events to all undergraduate
students at UVic.
1. In a joint effort with the AVP Advisory Board and the AVP Coordinator,
supervises the Work Study and/or project staff.
2. As required, provide support, information and referrals to individuals affected
with gender based violence.
3. Participate in volunteer recruitment and training as needed.
4. Publicize AVP programs, services and events on campus.
5. Organize and Supervise PR volunteer committee.
6. Prepare responses to media coverage of issues surrounding gender-based
7. Participate in volunteer recruitment and training as needed.
8. Attend staff, volunteer, committee meetings, and other meetings as required.
9. Ensure all activities and work performed are carried out in a manner
consistent with the values of AVP.
10. Issue press releases to the media regarding AVP programming.
11. With coordinator, determine budgetary requirements for all new and existing
12. Maintain budget records, prepare annual budget for presentation to AVP
13. Pursue new opportunities for sponsorship and donations, and build ongoing
relationships with donors.
14. Perform other related duties as required.
15. Initiating and completing projects around long-term capacity building /
16. Provide coverage and support for the AVP Coordinator.
1. Strong anti-oppressive feminist analysis of issues related to gender-based
violence and abuse.
2. Experience working with/in social justice organization/s and/or sexual assault
centres, minimum two years experience preferred.
3. Experience in preparing budgets and financial reports.
4. Experience preparing grant and project proposals.
5. Demonstrated experience in public/media relations.
6. Experience in the training, coordination and supervision of volunteer and paid
staff, minimum two years experience preferred.
7. Experience in crisis-intervention and support work, knowledge of community
resources available to survivors of violence at UVIC and in the community.
8. Experience working with people who have caused harm; to unlearn gender
9. Able to work independently and as part of a team of paid and volunteer staff.
10. Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete tasks involving long term
capacity building / community development.
11. Experience in organizational decision making, visioning (big-picture) and
12. Demonstrated leadership in a previous outreach environment, minimum two
years experience preferred.
This is a temporary job filled by a term employee, and is a unionized
position with the United Steelworkers. The University of Victoria Students’
Society is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is restricted to self-identified women, gender-non
conforming, and non-binary applicants only. In support of employment
equity and in order to increase our relevancy and diversity of skills,
knowledge and experience, AVP strongly encourages self-identified
people of colour, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer, and
transgender people to apply. Preference will be given to qualified
applicants who self-identify as being from marginalized communities and
groups who face systemic barriers to employment. Applicants who wish to
do so may self-identify