This month, graduate students at UVic voted 61.6% in favour of increasing our funding. We are humbled by this show of support, and so grateful to be able to continue supporting you right back.
Here’s some of the things we hope to do with this funding increase:
- Conduct paid consultation and focus groups with grad students about violence on campus to learn how we can best support you
- Design resources that speak to the specific forms of violence faced by grad students, including abusive academic relationships and toxic work environments
- Support grad student groups to continue to work against gender-based violence through funding and consultation
- Provide free pre-made packs of safer sex supplies and resources to students
- Spread further awareness of our peer support hours among the graduate student community
- Continue to work with UVic’s Sexualized Violence Resource Office and the Graduate Students’ Society (GSS) to address the impacts of sexualized violence
As always, our support hours are available to all students, staff, faculty, and community members. Whether you’re a Masters student or in a Doctorate program; a teaching assistant or here on fellowship, we’re here for you.
Again, thank you, grad students. We are so grateful for your continued support as we work towards creating a culture of consent and care, both on campus and beyond.
You can find the official election and referenda results at the GSS website.